Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Syllabus Day 5

Pages 191- end
Syllabus: Baergen
Notes: Sara

Warm Up Activity:   " I am eye. I am a mechanical eye. I, a machine, am showing you a world, the likes of which only I can see."  - Dziga Vertov, Kinoglas
How does this quote (found on our documentary sheet) apply to the characters and the message of the book?

Discussion Questions
1. What does George leading the boat signify?

2. What happened on the fishing trip that changed the boys?

3. Besides money, what is McMurphy trying to gain?

4. Do you think McMurphy really cares that much about money, or have his reasons changed?

5. When Bromden is in the disturbed ward, he is talking crazy. What does this show?

6. When the "whores" come, everyone is laughing uncontrollably. What is the purpose of this?

7. Why do they take all of the pills and throw them everywhere?

8. Why isn't anyone surprised when Chief starts talking?

9. What does this quote mean, "it is us...us." pg 258

10. What does Billy's death symbolize? What about McMurphy's?

Ending Activity:  If the book had ended differently, would it still have the same message? Would the book still be as powerful?

No comments:

Post a Comment